The Mona Lisa Sacrifice
Amazon.ca Top 100 bestseller!
Amazon.ca No. 1 Bestseller – Fantasy
Amazon.ca No. 1 Bestseller – Historical Fiction
The first book in the Cross series, featuring the enigmatic character of Cross, the man who woke up in Christ’s body after Christ left the earth to wherever it was he went. Written under the alias Peter Roman. Because, you know, Christ, Romans….
For thousands of years, Cross has wandered the earth, a mortal soul trapped in the undying body left behind by Christ. He’s been a thief, a con man, a soldier and a drunkard. He’s fought as a slave in the Colosseum and as a knight at King Arthur’s side. But now he must play the part of reluctant hero, as an angel comes to him for help finding the Mona Lisa—the real Mona Lisa that inspired the painting. Cross’s quest takes him into a secret world within our own, populated by characters just as strange and wondrous as he is: gorgons and dead gods hidden away in museums; faeries that live in countryside pubs, trapping and enslaving unwary travellers; and super-rich collectors who trade magical artifacts among themselves. He’s haunted by memories of Penelope, the only woman he truly loved, and he wants to avenge her death at the hands of his ancient enemy, Judas, a forgotten god from an ancient time. The angel promises to deliver Judas to Cross, but nothing is ever what it seems when Judas is involved, and when a group of renegade angels looking for a new holy war show up, things truly go to hell.
The Mona Lisa Sacrifice media:
- “Like if Quentin Tarantino made Howl’s Moving Castle.” The Mona Lisa Sacrifice included in The Bad Fairy StoryBundle
- If you liked Neil Gaiman’s American Gods, you’ll love The Mona Lisa Sacrifice: CBC’s The Next Chapter
- “The Mona Lisa Sacrifice is a deliriously unhinged roller coaster of a novel, blending fantasy, history, horror and humour with the aplomb of an overfull blender, but all of it smarter than it, truly, has any right — or need — to be”: National Post
- “The novel never lets the reader pause for breath . . . fans of the genre will find one of its ultimate expressions here“: Publishers Weekly
- “Sweeps you up with its gallows humour, whether you’re revelling in the pleasures of two-fisted, angel-punching action or the cleverly rendered language.”: Quill & Quire
- “Takes urban fantasy to a different level”: Library Journal
- “A pulp novel with genuine depth and wisdom, insight and consummate skill”: Regina Leader-Post
- “There are few writers, in this country at any rate, quite as unhinged and skilled, simultaneously, regardless of genre”: Saskatoon StarPhoenix
- Peter Roman/Darbyshire on Pen Names, Genre Fiction, and His Brand New Book: Interview with Salty Ink
- To buy The Mona Lisa Sacrifice (ebook):
To buy The Mona Lisa Sacrifice (paperback):